- The definition of factious is causing dissension and problems within a group.
An example of something factious is a bunch of cliques within a class.
- producing or tending to produce faction; causing dissension
- produced or characterized by faction
Origin: Classical Latin factiosus ; from factio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, produced by, or characterized by internal dissension.
- Given to or promoting internal dissension. See Synonyms at insubordinate.
- facˈtious·ly adverb
- facˈtious·ness noun