- Embitter is defined as to cause someone to feel resentful or angry, or to give something a sharp taste.
- When you steal someone's boyfriend and make her resent you, this is an example of when youembitter.
- Lemon added to candy is an example of something that embitters.
- to make bitter; make resentful or morose
- to make more bitter; exacerbate; aggravate
- embitterment noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb em·bit·tered, em·bit·ter·ing, em·bit·ters
- To make bitter in flavor.
- To arouse bitter feelings in: was embittered by years of unrewarded labor.
- em·bitˈter·ment noun