- Embitter is defined as to cause someone to feel resentful or angry, or to give something a sharp taste.
- When you steal someone's boyfriend and make her resent you, this is an example of when youembitter.
- Lemon added to candy is an example of something that embitters.
embitter definition by Webster's New World
- to make bitter; make resentful or morose
- to make more bitter; exacerbate; aggravate
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- embitterment noun
embitter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb em·bit·tered, em·bit·ter·ing, em·bit·ters
- To make bitter in flavor.
- To arouse bitter feelings in: was embittered by years of unrewarded labor.
- em·bitˈter·ment noun