- a flowering; blooming
- the time of flowering
- the peak or fulfillment, as of a career
- the changing of certain crystalline compounds to a whitish powder or powdery crust through loss of their water of crystallization
- the powder or crust thus formed
- Med. an eruption on the skin; rash or other skin lesion
Origin: Fr < L efflorescens, prp. of efflorescere: see effloresce
- efflorescent adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Botany A state or time of flowering; anthesis.
- a. A gradual process of unfolding or developing.b. The highest point; the culmination. See Synonyms at bloom1.
- Chemistry a. The deposit that results from the process of efflorescing. Also called bloom1.b. The process of efflorescing.c. A growth of salt crystals on a surface caused by evaporation of salt-laden water.
- Pathology Redness, a rash, or an eruption on the skin.
- efˌflo·resˈcent adjective
efflorescence - Science Definition
- A whitish, powdery deposit on the surface of rocks or soil in dry regions. It is formed as mineral-rich water rises to the surface through capillary action and then evaporates. Efflorescence usually consists of gypsum, salt, or calcite.
- See anthesis.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.