inflorescence[in′flō res′əns, -flô-; -flə-]
inflorescence definition by Webster's New World
- the producing of blossoms; flowering
- the arrangement of flowers on a stem or axis
- a flower cluster on a common axis
- flowers collectively
- a solitary flower, regarded as a reduced cluster
Origin: Modern Latin inflorescentia ; from Late Latin inflorescens, present participle of inflorescere, to begin to blossom: see in- and amp; florescence
- inflorescent adjective
inflorescence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A characteristic arrangement of flowers on a stem.b. A flower cluster.
- A flowering.
Origin: New Latin īnflōrēscentia, from Late Latin īnflōrēscēns, īnflōrēscent-, present participle of īnflōrēscere, to begin to flower : Latin in-, intensive pref.; see in-2 + Latin flōrēscere, to begin to blossom; see florescence.
- inˌflo·resˈcent adjective
top left to right: umbel and corymb
bottom left to right: panicle and raceme
inflorescence - Science Definition
top left to right: spike, raceme, panicle;
center left to right: corymb, catkin, head;
bottom left to right: umbel and compound umbel