- Drought is defined as a long period of time when there is no rain.
An example of drought is August in the desert.
A wheat field suffering from drought.
- a prolonged period of dry weather; lack of rain
- a prolonged or serious shortage or deficiency
- Archaic thirst
Origin of droughtMiddle English ; from Old English drugoth, dryness ; from drugian, to dry up; akin to dryge, dry
- A long period of abnormally low rainfall, especially one that adversely affects growing or living conditions.
- A prolonged dearth or shortage.
Origin of droughtMiddle English, from Old English drūgoth; akin to dr&ymacron;ge, dry.
From Old English drūġaþ.