An example of a monsoon is a storm that causes heavy flooding and extreme wind damage.
- a seasonal wind of the Indian Ocean and S Asia, blowing from the southwest from April to October, and from the northeast during the rest of the year
- the season during which this wind blows from the southwest, characterized by heavy rains
- any wind that reverses its direction seasonally or blows constantly between land and adjacent water
Origin of monsoonMiddle Dutch monssoen from Portuguese monção from Arabic mausim, a time, a season
- A wind system that influences large climatic regions and reverses direction seasonally.
- A wind from the southwest or south that brings heavy rainfall to southern Asia in the summer.
- A similar seasonal wind, as in the southwest United States, that brings increased rainfall.
- The rain that comes with any of these winds or wind systems.
Origin of monsoonObsolete Dutch monssoen from Portuguese monção from Arabic mawsim season from wasama to mark wsm