- The definition of a monsoon is a seasonal, intense wind that blows from the southwest from April to October and from the northeast at other time of the year in parts of Asia, creating heavy rainstorms.
An example of a monsoon is a storm that causes heavy flooding and extreme wind damage.
monsoon definition by Webster's New World
- a seasonal wind of the Indian Ocean and S Asia, blowing from the southwest from April to October, and from the northeast during the rest of the year
- the season during which this wind blows from the southwest, characterized by heavy rains
- any wind that reverses its direction seasonally or blows constantly between land and adjacent water
Origin: Middle Dutch monssoen ; from Portuguese monção ; from Arabic mausim, a time, a season
- monsoonal adjective
monsoon definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A wind system that influences large climatic regions and reverses direction seasonally.
- a. A wind from the southwest or south that brings heavy rainfall to southern Asia in the summer.b. The rain that accompanies this wind.
Origin: Obsolete Dutch monssoen, from Portuguese monção, from Arabic mawsim, season, from wasama, to mark; see wsm in Semitic roots.
- mon·soonˈal adjective
monsoon - Cultural Definition
A wind system that affects large climatic regions and reverses direction seasonally.
- The Asiatic monsoon brings heavy rains to Southeast Asia in spring and summer.
monsoon - Science Definition
- A system of winds that influences the climate of a large area and that reverses direction with the seasons. Monsoons are caused primarily by the much greater annual variation in temperature over large areas of land than over large areas of adjacent ocean water. This variation causes an excess of atmospheric pressure over the continents in the winter, and a deficit in the summer. The disparity causes strong winds to blow between the ocean and the land, bringing heavy seasonal rainfall.
- In southern Asia, a wind that is part of such a system and that blows from the southwest in the summer and usually brings heavy rains.