nounpl. Mon·si′gnors or Mon·si·gno′ri
- a title given to certain dignitaries of the Roman Catholic Church
- [oftenm-] a person who has this title
Origin of MonsignorIt, literally , my lord, Monseigneur
nounRoman Catholic Church
- A title conferred by the pope on a high-ranking male cleric, such as a protonotary apostolic.
- A cleric holding such a title.
- Abbr. Msgr. or Mgr. Used as a form of address prefixed to the name of such a cleric.
Origin of MonsignorItalian from French Monseigneur ; see Monseigneur .
- Alternative capitalization of Monsignor