- The definition of drop dead is something or someone that absolutely and completely embodies some particular trait.
An example of drop dead is a woman who is 100 percent gorgeous.
- To drop dead means to pass away, often suddenly or unexpectedly.
An example of drop dead is what you shout at your spouse who has just told you that he or she has been cheating on you and is leaving you for a younger love.
- Drop dead is defined as an insult or fighting phrase used to signify that you are very mad at someone, or that you no longer care about him or her.
An example of drop dead is when a man keels over suddenly at the dinner table clutching his heart and then passes away.
Origin of drop-deadprobably suggesting the shocked viewer's reaction: see drop (intransitive verb)
- Very impressive; spectacular: “a special video of the best-dressed women making drop-dead, knockout entrances at parties and fashion shows” ( André Leon Talley )
- Of or relating to a deadline that cannot be changed: a drop-dead date.
(comparative more drop-dead, superlative most drop-dead)
- an angry expletive