- The definition of a dram is 1/16 of an ounce or 1.77 grams, or a small amount of something, or a basic monetary unit of Armenia.
- A bottle with 1/16 ounce of perfume is an example of a dram.
- A shot of whiskey is an example of a dram.
- A unit of money in Armenia worth 100 luma is an example of a dram.
A dram of whiskey.
- : abbrev. dr.
- a unit of weight, equal to ounce avoirdupois or 27.3437 grains (1.772 grams)
- a unit of weight, equal to ounce apothecaries' or 3 scruples (3.888 grams)
- fluid dram
- a small drink of alcoholic liquor
- a small amount of anything
- the basic monetary unit of Armenia
Origin of dramMiddle English ; from Old French dragme ; from Medieval Latin dragma ; from Classical Latin drachma: see drachma
- Abbr. dr.a. A unit of weight in the US Customary System equal to 1/16 of an ounce or 27.34 grains (1.77 grams).b. A unit of apothecary weight equal to 1/8 of an ounce or 60 grains (3.89 grams).
- a. A small draft: took a dram of brandy.b. A small amount; a bit: not a dram of compassion.
Origin of dramMiddle English dragme, a drachma, a unit of weight, from Old French, from Late Latin dragma, from Latin drachma; see drachma.
Origin of dramArmenian, ultimately from Greek drakhmē; see drachma.
(third-person singular simple present drams, present participle dramming, simple past and past participle drammed)
dram - Computer Definition
dram - Investment & Finance Definition
The currency unit of Armenia, comprised of 100 lumma.
Shorthand for dynamic random access memory. A type of computer memory chip that is typically used in personal computers or large computers. DRAM needs to have its storage cells refreshed by giv- ing it a new electronic charge every few milliseconds.