- the smallest unit of liquid measure, equal to fluid dram or about half a drop (0.0616 milliliter): the British and Canadian imperial minim equals of an imperial fluid dram or 0.0592 milliliter: abbrev. min
- a tiny portion
- Chiefly Brit. half note
Origin of minimMiddle English mynym (in minimsense ) from Classical Latin minimus, least: see minimum
- Abbr. M. or min. A unit of fluid measure, as:a. In the United States, 160 of a fluid dram (0.0616 milliliter).b. In Great Britain, 120 of a scruple (0.0592 milliliter).
- Music A half note.
- An insignificantly small portion or thing.
- A downward vertical stroke in handwriting.
Origin of minimMiddle English half note from Medieval Latin minimus least from Latin; see mei-2 in Indo-European roots.
- (music) A half note, drawn as a semibreve with a stem.
- A unit of volume, in the Imperial and U.S. customary systems, 1/60 fluid drachm. Approximately equal to 1 drop, 62 Î¼L or 0.9 grain (weight) of water.
- Anything very minute; applied to animalcula and the like.
- the minims of existence
- A small fish; a minnow.
- A little man or being; a dwarf.
- A short poetical encomium.