- a person who tastes; specif.,
- a person employed to test the quality of wines, teas, etc. by tasting
- a servant who tastes food and drink prepared as for a sovereign, to detect poisoning
- any of several devices used for tasting, sampling, or testing
- Informal a slight experience of something; sample; taste
Origin of tasterMiddle English tastour ; from Anglo-French
- One that tastes, especially one who samples a food or beverage for quality.
- Any of several devices or implements used in tasting.
- That in which, or by which, anything is tasted, as, a dram cup, a cheese taster, or the like.
- One who tastes anything, especially food, wine etc., for quality.
- (zoology) A kind of zooid situated on the polyp-stem of certain Siphonophora, resembling the feeding zooids, but destitute of mouths.
- A person who is, by genetic makeup, able to taste phenylthiocarbamide
taste + -er.