The dragonfly is sometimes called the devil's darning needle.
The devil's darning needle is a dragonfly.
The definition of a dragonfly is a flying insect with two pairs of narrow wings and a long slender body.
An example of a dragonfly is the Green-eyed Hawker.
any of an order (Odonata) or suborder (Anisoptera) of large insects, harmless to people, having narrow, transparent, net-veined wings and feeding mostly on flies, mosquitoes, etc. while in flight
Any of numerous predatory insects of the order Odonata, having large eyes, a long slender body, and two pairs of transparent veined wings, especially those of the order Anisoptera, which hold the wings outstretched when at rest, as distinguished from the damselflies. Also called Also called regionally darner . Also called darning needle . Also called devil's darning needle . Also called mosquito fly . Also called mosquito hawk . Also called needle . Also called skeeter hawk . Also called snake doctor . Also called snake feeder . Also called spindle .Our Living Language Regional terms for the dragonfly are numerous—the Dictionary of American Regional English lists nearly 80 of them. The greatest variety of terms is to be found in the South, where the most widespread term is snake doctor (a name based on a folk belief that dragonflies take care of snakes). The Midland equivalent is snake feeder. Speakers from the Lower South and the Mississippi Valley, on the other hand, are more likely to refer to the same insect as a mosquito fly, mosquito hawk, or, in the South Atlantic states, a skeeter hawk. The imagery outside the South often alludes to the insect's shape rather than its behavior or diet: speakers in the West, in the Upper North, and in New England call it a darner, darning needle, or, less commonly, a devil's darning needle, and those in the Upper North also refer to it just as a needle; those in coastal New Jersey, a spindle.
- Grab your true blues and pair them with a tank top and a hilarious t shirt, then take the evening chill off with an equally deconstructed hoodie, such as this style from hip designer Dragonfly.
- Sporty and affordable, this durable fabric travel bag has both over the shoulder strap and short handles and comes in a variety of great prints, from Blue dragonfly to Pink Paisley Wave.
- Available from Horchow and handcrafted in the United States by designer Jay Strongwater using old world techniques, the Colin Red Dragonfly Trumpet Votive is a magnificent work of art.
- You can choose a simple black dragonfly with a tribal feel, a true to life dragonfly modeled after the actual insect, or open the body art up to any color and pattern you desire.
- Wee fairies are considerably less dangerous to mortal folk, and there are no legends of wanderers roaming forever in search of a once-glimpsed fair one the size of a dragonfly.