- two parallel ranges of low, grassy hills (North Downs & South Downs) in SE England
Origin of Downsfrom down
- naturally protected anchorage in the Strait of Dover, England
Origin of Downsbecause adjacent to the end of the North Downs on the coast
Two roughly parallel ranges of chalk hills in southeast England. The North Downs extend about 160 km (100 mi) from west to east; the South Downs, about 105 km (65 mi).
- plural form of down
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of down
- (Sussex) the South Downs.
- Let's just go for a walk on the Downs.