- lineman (senses & )
- Football head linesman
- an official who has the responsibility to make decisions along a sideline, goal line, etc., as in reporting whether the ball is inside or outside the line
- Football An official who marks the downs and the position of the ball and watches for certain violations from the sidelines.
- Sports a. An official in various court games whose chief duty is to call shots that fall out of bounds.b. An official in soccer and other field games who indicates when the ball has gone out of bounds.c. Either of two officials in ice hockey who call icing and offsides, conduct face-offs, and call penalities.
- See lineman.
- (soccer, dated) An assistant referee.
- (tennis) An official who calls shots that pitch out of bounds, and judges foot faults.
- (ice hockey) An official whose primary task is to watch the blue line and determine when there has been an offside.
- (American football) An official whose primary task is to determine whether there has been a line of scrimmage violation.
- A person employed to work on electrical lines; a lineman.