Variant of dodge
intransitive verbdodged, dodging
- to move or twist quickly aside; shift suddenly, as to avoid a blow
- to use tricks, deceits, or evasions; be shifty
Origin of dodgeuncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to Scottish dod, to jog: for Indo-European base see dodder
- to avoid (a blow, etc.) by moving or shifting quickly aside
- to evade (a question, charge, etc.) by trickery, cleverness, etc.
- to avoid meeting
- Photog. to lighten an area on (a print) to achieve a shading effect by blocking light in selected areas during an exposure, as in enlargement
- a dodging
- a trick used in evading or cheating
- a clever or resourceful device, plan, etc.