deferment[dē fʉr′mənt, di-]
- The definition of a deferment is a postponement or delay of something to a later date.
- When you get permission to stop paying student loans until you have graduated from college, this is an example of a deferment.
- When you are drafted to serve in the army but are able to put it off until you've graduated from college, this is an example of a deferment.
- The act or an instance of delaying or putting off.
- Officially sanctioned postponement of compulsory military service.