- The definition of a deferment is a postponement or delay of something to a later date.
- When you get permission to stop paying student loans until you have graduated from college, this is an example of a deferment.
- When you are drafted to serve in the army but are able to put it off until you've graduated from college, this is an example of a deferment.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
a deferring or being deferred; postponement
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act or an instance of delaying or putting off.
- Officially sanctioned postponement of compulsory military service.