- The definition of a deferment is a postponement or delay of something to a later date.
- When you get permission to stop paying student loans until you have graduated from college, this is an example of a deferment.
- When you are drafted to serve in the army but are able to put it off until you've graduated from college, this is an example of a deferment.
deferment definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
a deferring or being deferred; postponement
deferment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or an instance of delaying or putting off.
- Officially sanctioned postponement of compulsory military service.