- The definition of counseling refers to guidance or advice provided to help someone resolve difficulties or decide issues.
When you visit a therapist to work out your relationship issues, this is an example of counseling.
Variant of counsel
- a mutual exchange of ideas, opinions, etc.; discussion and deliberation
- advice resulting from such an exchange
- any advice
- a lawyer or group of lawyers giving advice about legal matters and representing clients in court
- anyone whose advice is sought; consultant
- Archaic intention or resolution; purpose
- Archaic wisdom or judgment
- Obsolete a confidential idea, plan, etc.; secret
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French counseil ; from Classical Latin consilium (for base see consult); confused in Middle English with council
- to give advice to; advise
- to urge the acceptance of (an action, plan, etc.); recommend