- Slang a black person: a term of contempt or derision
- Informal A raccoon.
- Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a black person.
Origin of coonShort for raccoon.
(third-person singular simple present coons, present participle cooning, simple past and past participle cooned)
- (southern US, colloquial) To hunt racoons.
- (southern US, colloquial) To crawl while straddling, especially in crossing a creek.
- (Georgia, colloquial) To fish by noodling, by feeling for large fish in underwater holes.
- (African American Vernacular) For an African American, to play the dated stereotype of a black fool for an audience, particularly including Caucasians.
- (southern US, colloquial, dated) To steal.