- The definition of contemplated means you thought about something seriously or considered something for a while.
If you thought for about 10 minutes about taking a nap but then decided not to, this is an example of when you contemplated a nap.
- simple past tense and past participle of contemplate
Variant of contemplate
transitive verbcontemplated, contemplating
- to look at intently; gaze at
- to think about intently; study carefully
- to have in mind as a possibility or plan; intend
Origin of contemplate; from Classical Latin contemplatus, past participle of contemplari, to gaze attentively, observe (orig., in augury, to mark out space for observation ; from com-, intensive + templum, temple
to meditate or muse, sometimes specif. in a religious or mystical way