- simple past tense and past participle of contemplate
The definition of contemplated means you thought about something seriously or considered something for a while.
If you thought for about 10 minutes about taking a nap but then decided not to, this is an example of when you contemplated a nap.
- When he was refreshed with food and sleep, he contemplated his journey again.
- The phone continued to ring while Janet contemplated an answer.
- Connie contemplated the answer and nodded.
- When the last box was filled with plates, he contemplated whether to wake Elisabeth or not.
- Napoleon's determination to undertake the invasion of England has often been disputed, but it is hard to imagine what other operation he contemplated, for the outbreak of hostilities with his continental enemies found him ill-supplied with intelligence as to the resources of the country he had then to traverse.