- The definition of condescension refers to an attitude of superiority or looking down on others.
An attitude that you are generally better and smarter than everyone else is an example of condescension.
condescension definition by Webster's New World
- act or instance of condescending
- a patronizing manner or behavior
Origin: Ecclesiastical Late Latin condescensio ; from past participle of condescendere
condescension definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of condescending or an instance of it.
- Patronizingly superior behavior or attitude.
Origin: Late Latin condēscēnsiō, condēscēnsiōn-, from condēscēnsus, past participle of condēscendere, to condescend; see condescend.