- When you gather together recordings of all of your favorite songs so you can make a mixed tape, this is an example of a compilation.
- A book containing recipes from 10 different years of a cooking contest is an example of a compilation.
The definition of a compilation is a collection of different things, or the act of gathering and putting together things.
- the act of compiling
- something compiled, as a report
Origin of compilationMiddle English compilacioun from Classical Latin compilatio, a pillaging, hence collection of documents from compilatus, past participle of compile
- The act of compiling.
- Something, such as a report, anthology, or set of data, that is compiled.
(countable and uncountable, plural compilations)
- (uncountable) The act or process of compiling or gathering together from various sources.
- (countable) That which is compiled; especially, a book or document composed of materials gathering from other books or documents.
- (uncountable, computing) Translation of source code into object code by a compiler.
Middle French, from Latin compilatio (“a raking together, a plundering, a collection of documents”)
compilation - Computer Definition
compilation - Legal Definition
- In copyright law, an assemblage of data or preexisting literacy works that is selected and arranged in such a way that it results in an original work of authorship.
- A collection of updated statutes that have been rearranged to make their use more convenient.