- The definition of a compilation is a collection of different things, or the act of gathering and putting together things.
- When you gather together recordings of all of your favorite songs so you can make a mixed tape, this is an example of a compilation.
- A book containing recipes from 10 different years of a cooking contest is an example of a compilation.
compilation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of compiling
- something compiled, as a report
Origin: Middle English compilacioun ; from Classical Latin compilatio, a pillaging, hence collection of documents ; from compilatus, past participle of compile
compilation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act of compiling.
- Something, such as a set of data, a report, or an anthology, that is compiled.
compilation - Business Definition
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Business Terms Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A presentation of financial information without an accountant's guarantee of conformity with generally accepted accounting principles.
compilation - Computer Definition
compilation - Legal Definition
- In copyright law, an assemblage of data or preexisting literacy works that is selected and arranged in such a way that it results in an original work of authorship.
- A collection of updated statutes that have been rearranged to make their use more convenient.