(plural common areas)
- A piece of land or a room that is designed for the use of multiple visitors to or inhabitants of a place.
- The dorm offered students the choice of retreating to the privacy of their rooms, or mingling in the common area.
- (law) In a condominium or other cooperative residential facility, an area owned by the organization that oversees the facility, but is not owned by any specific resident.
common area - Legal Definition
- In landlord-tenant law, a part of the premises that is used by all the tenants, of which the landlord retains control and is responsible to maintain in a reasonably safe condition; for example, an elevator, hallway, or stairway.
- An area that is owned and used by the residents of a condominium or similar housing development.