coming of agecoming-of-age
- An example of coming of age is a girl who turns 14, then 15, 16, 17 and 18.
- An example of coming of age is a novel about a girl going from childhood to adulthood.
The definition of coming of age refers to the process of growing up or entering into adulthood.
the act or an instance of reaching maturity: often used attributively
- After playing numerous small parts on television and the silver screen, Tobey Maguire's claim to fame came in 1997's coming-of-age film, The Ice Storm, where he played a young man whose town gets threatened with an ice storm.
- Unless you are a mother who is extending her benevolence to a coming-of-age or bride-to-be daughter, it is generally unwise to give Christmas bra and panty sets to relatives.
- The movie deals with Ringwald's character, Andie, in a coming-of-age story where she faces pressure from high school cliques, and struggles to find her niche.
- The coming-of-age story set in a Catskills Mountain resort during the 1960s was a runaway success - much to the surprise of the team behind the film.
- Kiefer was part of Hollywood during a time when a lot of young actors were making names for themselves in coming-of-age films.