A patch of clover.
clover definition by Webster's New World
- any of a genus (Trifolium) of low-growing plants of the pea family, usually with leaves of three leaflets and small flowers in dense heads
- any similar plant of the pea family
- this leaf
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English clafre, akin to Middle Low German klāver, German klee ; from Indo-European base an unverified form glei-, to stick: see clay
clover definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of various herbs of the genus Trifolium in the pea family, having trifoliolate leaves and dense heads of small flowers and including species grown for forage, for erosion control, and as a source of nectar for honeybees.
- Any of several other plants in the pea family, such as bush clover and sweet clover.
- Any of several nonleguminous plants, such as owl's clover and water clover.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English clāfre.
clover - Phrases/Idioms