- (slang) The remote-control device used to change settings on a television set, VCR, or other electronic equipment.
- We have a clicker for the TV, one for the VCR, one for the DVD player and another one that does it all.
- There are too many clickers in this house.
- A person who cuts out the uppers of shoes from pieces of leather using a flexible knife that clicks as it changes direction.
- A machine that cuts materials using a steel rule die. The name comes from the sound (click) when the material is cut. May be hand, pneumatic, or hydraulic powered.
- A signalling device used by military forces. Pressed between thumb and fingers, it makes a small but distinctive click understood by other members of a unit.
- A small mechanical device that produces a clicking sound, used in dog training.
- Someone who clicks, for example on internet hyperlinks.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Websterâ€™s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
click +â€Ž -er
Variant of click
- a slight, sharp sound like that of a door latch snapping into place
- a mechanical device, as a catch or pawl, that clicks into position
- Phonet. any of a class of stops, common in some African languages, made by touching the tongue to the roof of the mouth, drawing in the breath, and abruptly withdrawing the tongue from the roof of the mouth: the sound represented in English by the spelling “tsk” is a click
- Informal a flash of insight; epiphany
Origin of clickechoic, but associated, association with Middle English clike, a locking latch (; from Old French clique) and amp; cliken, to chatter (; from Old French cliquer)
- to make a click
- to be suddenly clear or comprehensible
- to fit, work, or get along together successfully
- to be a success
- Comput. to select or activate an icon, menu item, etc. by positioning the cursor over it and pressing a mouse button: usually with on