The definition of a city-state is a state that contains an independent city which is not administered or governed by another government.
Examples of city-states are Vatican City, Monaco and Singapore.
a state made up of an independent city and the territory directly controlled by it, as in ancient Greece
A sovereign state consisting of an independent city and its surrounding territory.
(plural city states)
- First I would suggest going online and checking what type of license you need in the particular city/state in which you live.
- The price of cigarettes have recently gone up due to city/state excise taxes in Illinois for health cost/benefits, the military budget, and lot of other things.
- Greek culture had been the product of the city-state, and Hellenism could not be dissevered from the city.
- (I) By the end of the regal period Rome had ceased to be a mere agricultural community and had developed into a city-state.
- Warde Fowler, The City-State, ch.