- The definition of a metropolis is a large or main city.
An example of a metropolis is Manhattan, New York.
Manhattan is a metropolis.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A major city, especially the chief city of a country or region: Chicago, the metropolis of the Midwest.
- A city or an urban area regarded as the center of a specific activity: a great cultural metropolis.
- Ecclesiastical The chief see of a metropolitan bishop.
- The mother city or country of an overseas colony, especially in ancient Greece.
Origin: Middle English metropol, from Late Latin mētropolis, mother-city, from Greek : mētēr, mētr-, mother; see māter- in Indo-European roots + polis, city; see pelə-3 in Indo-European roots.