- The definition of a metropolis is a large or main city.
An example of a metropolis is Manhattan, New York.
Manhattan is a metropolis.
metropolis definition by Webster's New World
- the main city, often the capital, of a country, state, or region
- any large city or center of population, culture, etc.
- in ancient Greece, the mother city or state of a colony
Origin: Late Latin ; from Classical Greek mētropolis ; from mētēr, mother plush polis, a state, city: see police
metropolis definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A major city, especially the chief city of a country or region: Chicago, the metropolis of the Midwest.
- A city or an urban area regarded as the center of a specific activity: a great cultural metropolis.
- Ecclesiastical The chief see of a metropolitan bishop.
- The mother city or country of an overseas colony, especially in ancient Greece.
Origin: Middle English metropol, from Late Latin mētropolis, mother-city, from Greek : mētēr, mētr-, mother; see māter- in Indo-European roots + polis, city; see pelə-3 in Indo-European roots.