- The definition of a megalopolis is a large and densely populated city or group of towns that make up an urban complex.
New York City and surrounding areas including Long Island are an example of a megalopolis.
Origin: Gr, literally , great city
- megalopolitan adjective, noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A very large city.
- A region made up of several large cities and their surrounding areas in sufficient proximity to be considered a single urban complex.
Origin: megalo- + Greek polis, city; see pelə-3 in Indo-European roots.
- megˌa·lop·o·lisˈtic adjective
- megˌa·lo·polˈi·tan adjective