This castle is a citadel.
A medieval castle is an example of a citadel.
- a fortress on a commanding height for defense of a city
- a fortified place; stronghold
- a place of safety; refuge
Origin of citadel; from Italian cittadella, diminutive of cittade, city ; from Classical Latin civitas, citizenship: see city
- A fortress in a commanding position in or near a city.
- A stronghold or fortified place; a bulwark.
Origin of citadelFrench citadelle, from Italian cittadella, diminutive of città, city, from Latin c&imacron;vitas; see city.