- To extinguish due to lack of fuel.
- The candle finally burned out.
- (idiomatic) To tire due to overwork.
- After six months of twelve-hour workdays, most people just burn out and quit.
- (idiomatic) To make (someone) unavailable for work involving exposure to ionizing radiation by employing (the person) in such work until the person's accumulated exposure reaches the maximum permitted for an administrative period, typically a year.
- The repairs on this nuclear reactor have burned out every welder in the province.