A man commiting a burglary.
An example of burglary is someone breaking the lock on the back door of your house and stealing your television.
Origin of burglaryburglar + -y
- The act of entering another's premises without authorization in order to commit a crime, such as theft.
- An instance of this: There were 10 burglaries in the area last month.
- The crime of unlawfully breaking into a vehicle, house, store, or other enclosure with the intent to steal.
- (law) Under the common law, breaking and entering of the dwelling of another at night with the intent to commit a felony.
- (law, US) Under the Model Penal Code, entering a building or occupied structure with purpose to commit a crime therein, unless the premises are at the time open to the public or the actor is licensed or privileged to enter. Model Penal Code § 221.1.
burglary - Legal Definition