- of the north wind
- of or pertaining to the northern zone of plant and animal life including the taiga and tundra
Origin of borealLate Latin borealis from Boreas
- Of or relating to the north; northern.
- Of or concerning the north wind.
- Boreal Of or relating to the forest areas of northern Eurasia and northern North America, dominated by coniferous trees such as spruce, fir, and pine.
Origin of borealMiddle English from Late Latin Boreālis from Latin Boreās Boreas ; see Boreas.
(comparative more boreal, superlative most boreal)
- Of, relating to, or coming from the north.