boreal definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- of the north wind
- of or pertaining to the northern zone of plant and animal life including the taiga and tundra
Origin: Late Latin borealis ; from Boreas
boreal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Of or relating to the north; northern.
- Of or concerning the north wind.
- Boreal Of or relating to the forest areas of the northern North Temperate Zone, dominated by coniferous trees such as spruce, fir, and pine.
Origin: Middle English, from Late Latin Boreālis, from Latin Boreās, Boreas; see Boreas.
boreal - Science Definition
- Relating to the north or to northern areas.
- Relating to the north wind.
- Relating to the forest areas of the Northern Temperate Zone that are dominated by coniferous trees such as spruce, fir, and pine.