- of the north wind
- of or pertaining to the northern zone of plant and animal life including the taiga and tundra
Origin of borealLate Latin borealis ; from Boreas
- Of or relating to the north; northern.
- Of or concerning the north wind.
- Boreal Of or relating to the forest areas of the northern North Temperate Zone, dominated by coniferous trees such as spruce, fir, and pine.
Origin of borealMiddle English, from Late Latin Bore&amacron;lis, from Latin Bore&amacron;s, Boreas; see Boreas.
(comparative more boreal, superlative most boreal)
- Of, relating to, or coming from the north.