- Bass is defined as a very low range of musical notes or a person or instrument that produces those notes.
- An example of bass is the part that is sung below the baritone in a male barbershop quartet.
- An example of someone who had a bass voice is Louis Armstrong.
- The definition of bass is the lowest part of the musical scale.
- An example of the part of a music that is bass is the singing voice under the baritone in a male barbershop quartet.
- An example of an instrument that is bass is the guitar.
- the range of the lowest male voice, usually from middle C to two or more octaves below
- a voice or singer with such a range
- an instrument with a similar range within its family; specif., a double bass
- a part for such a voice or instrument
- a low, deep sound or tone, as of a voice with this range
- in four-part harmony, the lowest part
- the lower part of the audio-frequency band in sound reproduction
Origin of bassMiddle English bas, base; spelling, spelled influenced, influence by Italian basso
of, for, or having the range of a bass
pl. or bass′es
any of various families of spiny-finned percoid, food and game fishes of fresh or salt water, including black bass, rock bass, and striped bass
Origin of bassMiddle English bas, earlier baers ; from Old English bærs ; from Indo-European an unverified form bhors-, point, bristle (in reference to the dorsal fins) ; from base an unverified form bhar- from source bur
nounpl. bass bass or bass·es
- Any of various North American freshwater fishes of the family Centrarchidae, especially the largemouth bass and the smallmouth bass.
- Any of various marine fishes especially of the families Serranidae and Moronidae, and including the sea basses and the striped bass.
Origin of bassMiddle English *bars, perch, from Old English bærs.
- A low-pitched sound or tone.
- The tones in the lowest register of an instrument.
- a. A male singing voice of the lowest range.b. A singer who has such a voice.c. An instrument that sounds within this range.d. A vocal or instrumental part written within this range.
- An instrument, especially a double bass, that produces tones in a low register.
- Having a deep tone.
- Low in pitch.
Origin of bassMiddle English bas, lowest musical part, from bas, low; see base2.
- An English brand of bottled pale ale