a woman's tightfitting bodice or tunic
Origin of basqueFrench ; from ProvenÃ§al basto ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps ; altered by associated, association with French basquine, kind of petticoat ; from Spanish basquiña ; from basco, vasco, Basque
- a member of a people living in the W Pyrenees of Spain and France
- the language of this people: it is not known to be related to any other language
Origin of BasqueFrench ; from Spanish Vasco; ultimately ; from Classical Latin Vascones, the Basques
of the Basques or their language or culture
A woman's close-fitting bodice.
Origin of basqueFrench, skirt of a garment, alteration (perhaps influenced by Basque, Basque) of Old French baste, from Italian basta, tuck, possibly of Germanic origin.
- A member of a people of unknown origin inhabiting the western Pyrenees and the Bay of Biscay in France and Spain.
- The language of the Basques, of no known linguistic affiliation.
Origin of BasqueFrench, probably from Latin Vascō, perhaps from Varscunes, Vascunes, ethnonym of the Pyrenees region in antiquity.
From French basque.
- The language of the Basque people.
- Relative to the Basque people or their language.