Origin of basqueFrench ; from ProvenÃ§al basto ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps ; altered by associated, association with French basquine, kind of petticoat ; from Spanish basquiña ; from basco, vasco, Basque
- a member of a people living in the W Pyrenees of Spain and France
- the language of this people: it is not known to be related to any other language
Origin of BasqueFrench ; from Spanish Vasco; ultimately ; from Classical Latin Vascones, the Basques
Origin of basqueFrench, skirt of a garment, alteration (perhaps influenced by Basque, Basque) of Old French baste, from Italian basta, tuck, possibly of Germanic origin.
- A member of a people of unknown origin inhabiting the western Pyrenees and the Bay of Biscay in France and Spain.
- The language of the Basques, of no known linguistic affiliation.
Origin of BasqueFrench, probably from Latin Vasc&omacron;, perhaps from Varscunes, Vascunes, ethnonym of the Pyrenees region in antiquity.
From French basque.
- The language of the Basque people.
- Relative to the Basque people or their language.