- A very strict teacher would be an example of a person with austerity.
- The puritan way of life with few luxuries and a strong moral code is an example of a life of austerity.
The definition of austerity refers to being strict, serious, and inflexible, or to being very moral and refraining from carnal pleasures.
- the quality or condition of being austere
- an austere act, habit, practice, or manner
- tightened economy, as because of shortages of consumer goods
- The quality of being austere.
- Severe and rigid economy: wartime austerity.
- An austere habit or practice.
(countable and uncountable, plural austerities)
- (severity of manners or life): comfort