- The definition of austerity refers to being strict, serious, and inflexible, or to being very moral and refraining from carnal pleasures.
- A very strict teacher would be an example of a person with austerity.
- The puritan way of life with few luxuries and a strong moral code is an example of a life of austerity.
- the quality or condition of being austere
- an austere act, habit, practice, or manner
- tightened economy, as because of shortages of consumer goods
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. aus·ter·i·ties
- The quality of being austere.
- Severe and rigid economy: wartime austerity.
- An austere habit or practice.