- An example of atonement is the Catholic practice of confessing one’s sins to a priest, being given a penance of some type, and then being forgiven and thus back in God’s good graces.
- An example of atonement is when a man has been unfaithful to his wife, and after confessing he sincerely apologizes, cuts all ties with his lover, enters couples counseling, and does whatever he can to make it up to his wife and regain her trust.
- the act of atoning
- satisfaction given for wrongdoing, injury, etc.; amends; expiation
- Obs. agreement or reconciliation
the AtonementChristian Theol.
- Amends or reparation made for an injury or wrong; expiation.
- a. Judaism An individual's reconciliation with God by means of repentance and confession of one's transgressions.b. Atonement Christianity The reconciliation of God and humans brought about by the redemptive life and death of Jesus.
- Obsolete Reconciliation; concord.