- the doctrine that all life is produced by a spiritual force separate from matter
- the belief that all natural phenomena have souls independent of their physical being
- a belief in the existence of spirits, demons, etc.
Origin of animismFrench animisme and German animismus, both from Classical Latin anima, soul: see animal and -ism
- The belief in the existence of individual spirits that inhabit natural objects and phenomena.
- The belief in the existence of spiritual beings that are separable or separate from bodies.
- The hypothesis holding that an immaterial force animates the universe.
Origin of animismFrom Latin anima soul ; see anə- in Indo-European roots.