- the belief that the dead survive as spirits that can communicate with the living, esp. with the help of a third party (medium)
- any practice arising from this belief
- Archaic the philosophical doctrine that all reality is in essence spiritual; idealism
- spirituality; spiritual quality
- a. The belief that the dead communicate with the living, as through a medium.b. The practices or doctrines of those holding such a belief.
- A philosophy, doctrine, or religion emphasizing the spiritual aspect of being.