- Solipsism is the theory that only the self is real and that the self cannot be aware of anything else except itself.
An example of solipsism is the idea that nothing matters except yourself.
- the theory that the self can be aware of nothing but its own experiences and states
- the theory that nothing exists or is real but the self
Origin of solipsism; from Classical Latin solus, alone, sole + ipse, self + -ism
- Philosophy The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified.
- The view that the self is the only reality.
Origin of solipsismLatin sōlus, alone; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots + Latin ipse, self + –ism.