Solipsism is the theory that only the self is real and that the self cannot be aware of anything else except itself.
An example of solipsism is the idea that nothing matters except yourself.
- the theory that the self can be aware of nothing but its own experiences and states
- the theory that nothing exists or is real but the self
Origin of solipsismfrom Classical Latin solus, alone, sole + ipse, self + -ism
- Philosophy The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified.
- The view that the self is the only reality.
- Absorption with oneself without consideration for the needs and desires of others: a self-indulgent memoir that revealed the author's solipsism.
Origin of solipsismLatin sōlus alone ; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.Latin ipse self -ism