An example of solipsism is the idea that nothing matters except yourself.
- the theory that the self can be aware of nothing but its own experiences and states
- the theory that nothing exists or is real but the self
Origin of solipsismfrom Classical Latin solus, alone, sole + ipse, self + -ism
- Philosophy The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified.
- The view that the self is the only reality.
- Absorption with oneself without consideration for the needs and desires of others: a self-indulgent memoir that revealed the author's solipsism.
Origin of solipsismLatin sōlus alone ; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.Latin ipse self -ism