Origin of androidandr(o)- + -oid
C-3PO from Star Wars is an example of an adroid.
(comparative more android, superlative most android)
- Possessing human qualities
From Ancient Greek ἀνδρός (andros), genitive of ἀνήρ (anēr, “man”) + -eides (“of the species; alike”), itself from εἶδος (eidos, “form, image, shape appearance, look”)
android - Computer Definition
An operating system for smartphones, tablets and laptops from the Google-sponsored Open Handset Alliance. With myriad models to choose from, Android is the leading mobile platform worldwide. Android is a Linux OS, and Android apps are programmed in Java. Users download applications from Google's Play Store (formerly Android Market), the Amazon Appstore and other online sources (see Google Play and Amazon Appstore). The first Android smartphone came out in 2008 and quickly became a major competitor to the iPhone, due to its availability from multiple carriers and handset manufacturers. In addition, Androids could multitask, whereas iPhones could not at that time. By 2011, Android outsold every other smartphone. Android phones were the first with large screens that eventually inspired Apple to offer phablet-sized devices. See phablet. Like Windows Vs. Mac Like Windows computers, Android hardware is made by many different manufacturers. Also like Windows, Android vendors can add their own set of apps and different interface features to their phones (see app launcher). In contrast, like the Mac, the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are made only by Apple. They feature one interface, one set of included apps and only two or three current models. See iPhone vs. Android, Open Handset Alliance, AOSP, Android fragmentation, mobile compatibility and mobile device vendor control. The Google Phone In 2005, Google acquired Android, Inc. and two years later unveiled smartphone specifications for third-party manufacturers. In 2010, Google began to offer "pure Android" versions, devoid of vendor add-ons (see Google Nexus). When it acquired Motorola Mobility in 2012, Google became a phone manufacturer itself. However, in less than two years, Google sold the company to Lenovo while retaining numerous patents. See Android camera, Android rooting, Android laptop, Android antivirus program, Chromecast, Android TV, HTC G1 and smartphone.
- In the end, Joanna is murdered by one of the Stepford wives, and in the final scenes of the novel, the reader sees that Joanna has become obedient, complacent and replaced by a female android who is the perfect wife and mother in every way.
- Just as the IPhone integrates with many of Apple's other services (like iTunes) and Android phones integrate with Google services (like Gmail), Windows Phone 7 features strong integration with other Microsoft products.
- The novel series includes six original books following the adventures of Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillian and Marvin the Paranoid Android as they make their way through the universe, post-destruction of the Earth.
- For Google Android to attack the corporate market -- currently dominated by Windows Mobile and BlackBerry -- it will need to add better corporate support, such as support for Microsoft Exchange for corporate e-mail accounts.
- Consumer Search breaks the phones down into "bests" based on categories like best business smartphone for AT&T users, top Windows Mobile device more business than fun, great Google Android phone for Sprint, and so on.