advisory[ad vī′zə rē, əd-]
- The definition of advisory is something that provides information or a warning and/or has the ability to help make decisions on a topic.
An example of an advisory committee is when a city wants to know the environmental impact of putting a campground in on the lake, so they hire a group of people to look into the pros/cons and make a report.
- Advisory is defined as a written document or verbal report which provides a warning or information and recommendations on a topic.
An example of an advisory is the report written when a committee looks into the possibility of building a new playground in an impoverished neighborhood, and based on the information gathered they detail their findings and recommendations.
- advising or given the power to advise
- relating to, or containing, advice
- Empowered to advise: an advisory committee.
- Relating to or containing advice, especially a warning: an advisory memorandum regarding airworthiness.
(comparative more advisory, superlative most advisory)
- Able to give advice.
- The advisory committee could only offer advice, but since that was almost always accepted they had real power.
- Containing advice; advising.
- The consultant's advisory recommendations were selectively adopted.
- A warning.
- The Coast Guard issued a small craft advisory, warning little boats to watch out for bad weather.
advisory - Computer Definition
A document that contains information and analysis about a threat or vulnerability. Advisories are sent out by an organization to a list of subscribers or is posted on a Web site such as CERT/CC Advisories at www.cert.org/advisories. See alert.