- The definition of abysmal is something that is extremely bad or unfathomably appalling.
An example of abysmal living conditions would be an unheated room with bugs in it.
A room in abysmal contition.
- of or like an abyss; bottomless; unfathomable
- wretched to the point of despair; immeasurably bad: abysmal poverty
Origin of abysmalabysm + -al
- Resembling an abyss in depth; unfathomable.
- Very profound; limitless: abysmal misery.
- Very bad: an abysmal performance.
(comparative more abysmal, superlative most abysmal)
- Nouns to which "abysmal" is often applied: ignorance, record, performance, poverty, conditions, quality, perplexity, result.