- The definition of abysmal is something that is extremely bad or unfathomably appalling.
An example of abysmal living conditions would be an unheated room with bugs in it.
A room in abysmal contition.
abysmal definition by Webster's New World
- of or like an abyss; bottomless; unfathomable
- wretched to the point of despair; immeasurably bad: abysmal poverty
Origin: abysm plush -al
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- abysmally adverb
abysmal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Resembling an abyss in depth; unfathomable.
- Very profound; limitless: abysmal misery.
- Very bad: an abysmal performance.
- a·bysˈmal·ly adverb