A room in abysmal contition.
The definition of abysmal is something that is extremely bad or unfathomably appalling.
An example of abysmal living conditions would be an unheated room with bugs in it.
- of or like an abyss; bottomless; unfathomable
- wretched to the point of despair; immeasurably bad: abysmal poverty
Origin of abysmalabysm + -al
- Resembling an abyss in depth; unfathomable.
- Very profound; limitless: abysmal misery.
- Very bad: an abysmal performance.
(comparative more abysmal, superlative most abysmal)
- Nouns to which "abysmal" is often applied: ignorance, record, performance, poverty, conditions, quality, perplexity, result.
abysm + -al