The definition of understated is something done in a modest and not over-stated or overly flashy way.
A piece of jewelry that is not big or flashy is an example of something that would be described as understated.
Not striking or obvious, as in style or ornamentation; restrained or subtle: “The waiting room is comfortable and understated” ( Tony Schwartz )
- Simple past tense and past participle of understate.
- And throughout the crucifixion narratives, though the suffering is quietly understated, it is equally clear.
- It's an understated, slow-paced ballad with a pleasant melody, and some lovely acoustic guitar refrains.
- The fresh-faced appeal of understated eye makeup is one that can easily be pulled off for every day with a flesh colored eye shadow, a brown or other medium neutral liner on the top eye, and two coast of mascara on curled lashes.
- T-Touch Expert Titanium: An understated yet elegant facade stylishly mutes the watch's ability to provide options such as weather reports, altimeter readings, a compass and alarm functions by touching the watch's crystal.
- In fact, a designer's color palette can truly distinguish the designer on the runway, which is why Prada will always be associated with "Prada Pink", a muted and understated pink tone that conquered the runway years ago.