- of, like, or characteristic of an ointment or unguent; oily or greasy
- made up of or containing fat or oil
- like oil, soap, or grease to the touch: said of certain minerals
- soft and rich: said of soil
- plastic; moldable
- characterized by a false show of deep or sincere feeling, as in trying to persuade; too smooth or overly polite in speech, manners, etc.
Origin of unctuousMiddle English from Medieval Latin unctuosus, greasy from Classical Latin unctum, ointment from ung(u)ere, to anoint: see unguent