That type of car was popular in the 1970s.
To be typed as a villain.
An example of type is men with blond hair.
Let's see how your letter looks in type.
An example of type is to write a novel in Microsoft Word.
He is the type of person that is bound to get into trouble.
A group of executive types; a restaurant frequented by tourist types.
A sans-serif type.
A political candidate who was typed as indecisive.
This type of plane can handle rough weather more easily than that type of plane.
The type of a genus, family, etc.
She's my type.
The fundamental types used to express the simplest and most essential chemical relations are hydrochloric acid, water, ammonia, and methane.
Categorial grammar is like a combination of context-free grammar and types.
The doctor ordered the lab to type the patient for a blood transfusion.
An actor afraid of being typed as a gangster.
Beef type, dairy type.
- A person to whom one should be sexually attracted or romantically inclined:With her interest in art, she should be just your type.
- the kind of person that someone finds attractive or agreeableA bookish man is definitely not her type.
Other Word Forms
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of type
- Fr < Gr -typon < typos: see type
From Webster's New World College Dictionary, 5th Edition
- Middle English symbol from Late Latin typus type from Latin image from Greek tupos impression
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Latin typus, from Ancient Greek τύπος (tupos, “mark, impression, type"), from τύπτω (tuptō, “I strike, beat").