- a tolerating or being tolerant, esp. of views, beliefs, practices, etc. of others that differ from one's own
- freedom from bigotry or prejudice
- an allowable deviation from a standard or from the theoretical ideal, esp. in the manufacture or assembly of components; specif.,
- the amount that coins are legally allowed to vary from a standard of weight, fineness, etc.
- the difference between the allowable maximum and minimum sizes of a part or fitting
- the ability to endure
- Med. the natural or developed ability to resist the effects of the continued or increasing use of a drug, etc.
Origin of toleranceMiddle English tolleraunce from Middle French tolerance from Classical Latin tolerantia