- a topic or subject, as of a lecture, sermon, essay, etc.
- a recurring, unifying subject or idea; motif
- a short essay, esp. one written as an assignment in a school coursealso theme paper
- a short melody used as the subject of a musical composition
- a musical phrase upon which variations are developed
- theme song
Origin of themeMiddle English from Old French and L: Old French teme from Classical Latin thema from Gr, what is laid down from base of tithenai, to put, place: see do
transitive verbthemed, them′ing