- A regional or international meeting of bishops; also, a meeting of diocesan priests, the diocesan bishop presiding.
- A Presbyterian governing body ranking between the general assembly and presbytery.
- A national or district organization of Lutheran or certain other Protestant churches.
Origin of synod
- Middle English from Latin synodus from Greek sunodos meeting, assembly sun- syn- hodos way, course
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- Ancient Greek ÏƒÏÎ½Î¿Î´Î¿Ï‚ (sunodos, “assembly, meeting"), from ÏƒÏÎ½ (sun, “with") (English syn-) + á½Î´ÏŒÏ‚ (hodos, “way, path").