Sister ships; sister cities.
Native American leader Chief Seattle urged ecological responsibility, referring to Brother Eagle and Sister Sky in his purported 1854 speech.
An example of sister is a girl who is born to your parents a year after you are born.
- A kinswoman.
- A woman fellow member, as of a sorority.
- A fellow woman.
- A close woman friend or companion.
- A fellow African-American woman or girl.
- A woman who advocates, fosters, or takes part in the feminist movement.
Origin of sister
- Middle English from Old Norse systir swesor- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition